Hunting & Fishing
The Winneshiek County Conservation Board manages several areas for public hunting.
Black Oak Hollow
Marilie Educational Forest Reserve
Hunter Education Courses are required for anyone wishing to purchase a hunting license in Iowa. Courses are sponsored by the Iowa DNR and hosted at various locations throughout the state. Winneshiek County Conservation typically hosts one hunter education class each year in late summer.
Visit the Iowa DNR Training Center to find and register for Hunter Education courses near you.
During Spring-Fall 2015, Lake Meyer underwent extensive enhancement work which included drawing down the lake's water level. Work is now completed for the season and the lake is filling back in but has not reached normal water levels and access is still limited. Please call (563) 534-7145 for updated information on water levels and winter ice conditions. Updates are also available on the Winneshiek County Conservation Facebook Page.
- Water: 38-acre lake
- Location: Lake Meyer Park, off Highway 24 between Calmar and Fort Atkinson
- Amenities: 60-foot fishing jetty, banks, handicap-accessible dock, boat ramp (electric motors only), fish habitat improvements, picnic shelters, camping, hiking trails
- Fish Species: Stocked with Northern Pike, Bluegill, Black Crappie, Largemouth Bass, Channel Catfish
- Maps: Lake Meyer Depth, 2015 Fish Habitat Placements, 2013 Fish Habitat Placements, Lake Meyer Park Overview Map
- Water: Bohemian Creek
- Location: West of Spillville on County Road B16
- Amenities: Picnic shelter, hiking and cross-country skiing trails
- Fish Species: Rainbow, Brook, and Brown Trout
Sliver Springs Park
- Water: 2-acre, spring-fed pond
- Location: South of Ossian on County Road W42
- Amenities: Bridge across pond, pit toilets, picnic areas
- Fish Species: Stocked with Largemouth Bass, Bluegill, Crappie, Channel Catfish
- Access Points: Smallest Church Park
- Location: West of Festina off either Highway 150 or County Road W14
- Amenities: Picnic area
- Fish Species: Smallmouth Bass, Rock Bass
Upper Iowa River
- Access Points: Chattahoochie Park, Chimney Rock Park, Kendallville Park, and Trout Run Park
- Locations and Amenities: See individual parks on Parks page
- Fish Species: Smallmouth Bass, Rock Bass, Walleye, suckers
Additional Hunting and Fishing Information
Find information on trout fishing and stocking in the area.
Find other hunting and fishing resources for Northeast Iowa.
Check out current fishing reports for the Decorah area.
Get help with fish identification.
Find Wildlife Management Areas in Winneshiek County and around the state.